Ubuntu Live CD with Microsoft Virtual PC 2007

Finally, I found Microsoft Virtual PC 2007 (VPC) installation file from my DVD software collections I burned couple months ago. This idea article for talking about VPC has been interesting me apart since I already have some experiments with others virtualization program such as Virtual Box & QEMU emulation software, which both was containing with fixed installation OS. By not means to comparing them each other, but I just really like to learn more the difference between emulation & virtualization. And here now is my attempt to take Ubuntu Live CD with it. Why live CD? Well, the answer is so simple: it doesn’t need space & it act like interactive CD (no need to install - at least on the first sight).

Actually, you may see lists of OS’s tried with VPC at this link, but I’d like to test it by my own self on Acer Travelmate 6291 series particularly with live CD session which not listed on there. The Ubuntu Live CD version I used is 5.10 with code name Breezy Badger which I got for free after requesting it from shipit.ubuntu.com several years ago.



The main VPC console window is more simple & easy of use. Anyway, testing creation of virtual hard disk has take the same way with others virtualization & emulation software. No big deal with that. The major differences is placed on hardware devices setting window only.



As you can see the picture above, it’s always good news that Microsoft still presenting legacy port such as COM & LPT which you would not found yet from the last version of Virtual Box (1.3). The VPC 2007 also support up to 4 network adapters which supposed to be active after the virtualization run. By the way, in virtual hard disk setting, none of them I created for this experiment since I’d like to know what treat will VPC 2007 do with live CD.



A smooth Ubuntu boot logo displayed after I insert the CD & start to begin the virtualization process. Now I’d like to enter a custom boot parameter, an expert installation & attempted to disabled the frame buffer mode: (just want to try out)

boot: live-expert debian-installer/framebuffer=false


Anyway, all the hardware devices are fully succeeded detected & none of them are seems to be failed. Except the X window was garbled when Ubuntu tried to load it with default 24 bit mode automatically. After couple experiments, I tried to manually configure the auto detect video hardware.



Also, I tried to disabled the use of kernel frame buffer device interface.



At first, I doubt the monitor VSync & HSync auto detection capability, but I was wrong. Even I choose No to auto detection mode, but the laptop LCD’s setting looks already detected correctly.



My last suspect was the color depth setting. Anyway, I tried to downgrade it into 16 bit mode.



And here we go, the desktop are now appearing.



The laptop integrated Bluetooth communication link also great detected on it, but I didn’t test it for more to pairing with other device.



Though I still can’t configure out why the network adapter still can’t pinging the host Windows XP OS (with static IP address). Does it need to create TUN / TAP adapter just like Virtual Box did? I’m sorry, I’ve got time’s up for this & can’t find the answer yet. Maybe someone have it?

Labels:


PS: If you've benefit from this blog,
you can support it by making a small contribution.

Enter your email address to receive feed update from this blog:

Post a Comment

 

  1. Anonymous Anonymous said,

    Wednesday, April 09, 2008 12:03:00 AM

    Thanks for review. www.sampara.com

  2. Blogger Adi Riswan said,

    Tuesday, April 15, 2008 10:59:00 AM

    maybe u should try Microsoft Loopback Adapter as ur ethernet adapter..

    hihi sorry if i'm wrong :-)

  3. Anonymous Anonymous said,

    Monday, May 12, 2008 7:13:00 PM

    Eko, is this really your experience or you just download it from the others?

  4. Blogger Eko Wahyudiharto said,

    Tuesday, May 13, 2008 8:30:00 AM

    @Anonymous: Are you trying to say that I'm a illegal writer or something like a piracy maker?

    Although you could find anywhere on the internet about the related topics, but every article right up my blog is based on my own experiences.

    I've the snap images just to proved that this is what i was done when did the experiences. Take a look carefully what is my machine environment regarding to the picture I've uploaded & make comparison to any other posts. Got it?

Post a Comment

Leave comments here...